The conflict is certainly complex. It involves Darfur, a region roughly the size of France, along with conflicting militias and ethnic groups. Political groups of Darfur demanded the government give them more revenues from oil sales. The response was an Arab-Muslim militia, called the Janjiweed, carrying out Sudanese government sponsored massacres against Black-African-Muslim villages, dating back to 2003. I met a Darfurian refugee at a mosque in Philadelphia and I was surprised because he looked completely Arab. However, he said he is lumped with the Black-Africans because of the village he lives in. To him the ethnic lines of Darfur were arbitrary.
Recently the International Criminal Court has issued an arrest warrant for the President of Sudan, Omar al-Bashir, for crimes against humanity and murder. This resulted in al-Bashir kicking out all of the foreign aid workers from Sudan, including Darfur region. A friend of mine, Yasir, is a Sudanese humanitarian worker. While he is outraged by the atrocities in his country, he believes the issuing of the warrant by the ICC was filled with stupidity and an action that has worsened the conditions of the Darfurian refugees.
Genocide continues even though we are given false promises of "never again." It has been going on for six years and it will continue. The violence has spilled out of Sudan and caused a civil war in Chad, and a "bush war" in the Central African Republic. Tonight I watched a movie with grave images from Darfur that I cannot describe with words. The only thing that comes to mind is "fucking horrifying."
To give a face to the genocide check out The Devil Came on Horseback.

salaam alikum

Things like this only point how completely useless the UN is. They sit idly by why this goes down and do nothing.
ReplyDeleteoy... The entire situation in Darfur conjures deep emotion for me; I don't think I'll be able to watch this one.
ReplyDeleteWe can pray and hope and believe that something good will come from all the horrible things that are going on. My oh my how I want to believe that!
It also shows America only fights wars that have corporate interests.
ReplyDelete