Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What did they do to Ginny?


We watched Half-blood prince today. Was I entertained? Yes. Was it a decent summer blockbuster? Yes. Was I severely disappointed and at times pulling out my hair and muttering cuss words? Yes.

I'll start with the positives.

1.) I thought they did Draco right. They really showed his plight pretty well, and I thought the bathroom scene was pretty strong.

2.) Slughorn was also a good film adaptation. The highlight of the film was when Hagrid and him are drunk and singing. I never heard the name "Odo" but I was glad they included that because it makes me crack up every time I read it.

3.) The Cave scene was rowdy and I really enjoyed Dumbledore going ape-shit with the fire. Badass.

4.) The overall mood and footage was dark and bleak. As it damn well should be!

5.) Special effects were outstanding.


Negatives (or bloody hell's)

1.) Where the bloody hell was the scene of Dumbledore putting the Dursley's in their place!?

2.) Where the bloody hell was Grimwauld place and the house elves Kreacher and Dobby!?

3.) Why the bloody hell did they have the Weasley's house burnt down!? (not canon) This should have been the scene of Harry sticking it to the Minister of Magic!

4.) Why the bloody hell was Harry never in detention with Snape!? He spent most of book six there.

5.) However, the biggest bloody hells are reserved for the blunders with Ginny. Why the bloody hell did they objectify her in a bathrobe during the christmas holiday? That was tasteless. And if the filmmakers weren't being indulgent enough, they make the first kiss between she and Harry in the bloody room of requirement! (not canon) They completely skipped over Ginny replacing Harry as seeker in the quidditch final, and them snogging like mad in celebration in front of the whole Gryffindor house, including Ron, and the subsequent stroll around the grounds. That's like one of the highlights of book six. Ugh.

Okay, sorry for the rant. Just had to get it out there. WHERE THE BLOODY HELL WAS THE INVISIBILITY CLOAK DURING THE FINAL SCENE!? Okay, okay I'm done. Really I was entertained and had a good time watching the film with Kate. After all the movies are completely apocryphal, and it's more just a chance for all of us to see our heroes in live-action.

Matthew's grade: a very reluctant B-

salaam alikum

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your comments about Ginny!! (And Kreacher & Dobby!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree so, so much. The lack of the invisibility cloak in the final scene was one of my biggest annoyances as was, of course, the RIDICULOUS waste of an action scene in the corn which made the death eaters look weak and stupid (like Bellatrix Lestrange would just play a joke and leave?!!!). My one huge wish is that the filmmakers would've taken the energy they spent on the corn scene and used it for the final battle at Hogwarts (really?! Draco spent all year repairing the vanishing cabinet to just get Bellatrix, Greyback, and like two other dudes in the castle?!).

    And yet? I liked the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted a scene with dumbledore's funeral. The Weasley's house burning down--now where are they going to start part one of movie 7--not with the wedding, I guess. Final scene was dismal at best.. Snape sushing Harry... Harry not being frozen by Dumbledore.. altogether disappointing.. But I feel like this movie did an important part in leading into the 7th by establishing the story of the Horcruxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's rumored Hallows part I will start with Dumbledore's funeral. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and what about Dumbledore's black hand?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This my friends is why it is so sad that some have not read the books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, it's been a few years since I read 1/2 blood, and after finishing up Order last night, I am forcing myself to take a break to get back on track with work work, regardless... 6 is one of my fave books due to Dumbledore's almost complete repentance of the distance that he put between himself and Harry. Beyond that, it's Horcrux hunting. Soooo, where was the Harry/Dumblydore warmth? Where were all the memory hunts? Yes, Weasley house burning was trash, even if they wanted to skip the wedding, there was no need for that crap. What sucked about the changes and quickness of the final scene is that I believe that in Dumbles not having frozen Harry, he appeared to be completely out of control. Just like the book, there should have been an ambiguity. Like Harry would just sit there whilst janky Draco backed Dumbledore into a corner, Snape or not? He jinxed the dogshorts out of Snapeskipoo in book 3 just to hear out Sirius.

    ReplyDelete