Wednesday, July 15, 2009

5 Films

If you haven't noticed already, Katie and I love documentaries. We watched 3 this week, and I am including reviews of two others we watched a while a go that I forgot to review, but were memorable.



This is one worth watching. Basically the film treats the "corporation" as a patient and they pyscho-analyze it. The director's come to an early conclusion that the patient is a pyschopath. The rest of the film dives into historical examples along with present day ones to support this claim. Regardless of the biases and the overall slant of the film, most of the claims can't be disputed. It is also made pretty well for a documentary and I found it pretty engaging even though it was almost two and half hours long.
Matthew's grade: B+



Monsanto was one of the coporations studied in the previous movie, so I figured we should check this one out. It is by a french film-maker and reminded me a lot of The Gleaners and I. This film is vey informative, and so-so on the entertaining part. The subject matter left Katie and I talking about the film afterwards. For those of you who don't know about genetically altered and patented seeds, and the subsiquent exploitation of third-world famers, I highly recommend this one.
Matthew's grade: B


With a run time of only about an hour and ten minutes this doc comes and goes pretty quickly. It looks at the war profiteering that has taken place during Gulf War 2.0. The filming techniques aren't terribly awesome, but it communicates information about Haliburton, Titan, CACI, and Black Water's practices pretty clearly and accurately.
Matthew's grade: C+


For those of you who want to know more about Hunter S. Thompson's life, but don't feel like reading through his collected works, this movie is for you. I went into the movie with only knowledge that he wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and that he commmitted suicide. I was interested in his work on the McGovern candidacy, and his failed attempt to cover the rumble in the jungle. The end really drags, but they finally get to his funeral, which was quite the spectacle.
Matthew's grade: B-


This film is predominantly interview based, which at times can make a movie quite stale. However, the subject matter of this piece carries the movie through, along with flashbacks of news footage from the sixties and seventies. For people interested in the claims that Barack Obama is a friend of terrorists (Bill Ayers), this movie will clear up what that means. Ayers, along with his accomplices, give interviews regarding their "terrorist" activities against the US government and capitalism in general, during their historic run as the revolutionary "Weather Underground."
Matthew's grade: B
salaam alikum

8 comments:

  1. If you like docs, try "I Like Killing Flies". It's choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed you watch a lot of documentaries. And even though you did not ask, I will now list my favorite documentaries: The King of Kong, Spellbound, Summercamp!, American Teen, Hoop Dreams, Wordplay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spellbound and worplay. I would recommend Word Wars which I think is even better than those two. It is about professional scrabble players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen Word Wars too, good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you start tagging these posts as "documentaries" so that we can reference to them later or can you develop a curriculum for us?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Word Wars, the documentary that made me want to watch documentaries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just requested Iraq for Sale and The Corporation from the library. They didn't have any of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We watched most of the Corporation. Even as a pretty anti-corporate kind of fellow, too much one-sided hate mail from anyone just pisses me off. I felt submurged in gentle waves, I had to stop after a solid hour and 45 mins and breathe. I haven't gone back.

    ReplyDelete