Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fatima & Latifa

Two things have become abundantly clear this week. 1. Middle aged Moroccan women love Katie and 2. Katie is one hell of a baker.


We have finally really started to get to know our neighbors. I think they have gotten used to seeing our white faces around. Fatima, who lives in our complex, has really started spoiling us. She lives here with her husband and all of there family lives far away. Much of a Moroccan woman's identity is wrapped up in caring for people. So she has kind of taken us under her wing. Fatima brought us lunch twice this week. Pizza the first time and home-made cous cous yesterday (here called sook soo). Katie was out to lunch when the sook soo came so Zetta and I had this ridiculously large plate all to ourselves.


Latifa is one of Katie's English students. She lives down the block from us. She lives with her husband and only son, Badr, who studies at the same university as I do. We had cous cous with them last Friday, and last night we had hiraira, a tomato soup which is traditionally eaten during Ramadan to break the fast. Last night I was telling Moulay al-arabi (the father) about fishing in the US, and he thought it sounded so free. He kept saying liberte in french.



I think both Latifa and Fatima are anxious to have grand kids because they love to spoil Zetta. They have lavished her with stuffed animals, love, and they always want to "borrow" her to carry around and take care of. Zetta really loves their cooking.

Katie has tried to repay their hospitality and generosity by baking them bread. Last week she gave both ladies zucchini bread, and this week she made pumpkin spice bread. I reap the benefits because she usually bakes us a loaf too. Katie has also been dabbling in cobblers which are some of the most delicious desserts I have ever eaten. I would put Katie's peach cobbler against the Big Z's apple pie, Grandma Dugo's Pie cuts, or any Mennonite ladies' baked goods in a taste contest any day of the week. Katie also makes a mean blueberry cobbler, cherry cobbler, and dutch apple pie. I don't even have time to mention the cookies. By the way, she does this all in a toaster oven.

salaam alikum

1 comment:

  1. Katie - for Christmas we would like an apple pie with the crumb topping. Mike goes on and on about it all the time!

    Bread always reminds me of hospitality for some reason. Dunno why.

    ReplyDelete