Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Door, the Lights, and the Tire

We have a door from hell in our apartment. It is the door to Zetta's room. There is no handle on the outside, only a lock, and the handle is on the inside. Hard to describe. Anyways, we always keep the door open because if it closes it gets stuck on something and Katie and I can never get it open. Well the wind blew it shut the other day and Katie and I tried for a good half hour to get it open, and after much sweat and a few curse words, it still was closed. I went and asked our watchman if he could give me a hand. He walked right in jiggled the lock a little bit and pushed it right open with a laugh. I shook my head and smirked a little...

Two of our lights were not working in our salon for like a month. I had messed with them on a few occasions, fiddling with the wires, adjusting the tightness of the bulb in the sockets, with no luck. I told our landlord and he finally got around to fixing it this past week. He got on the ladder fiddled with the wires and the lights miraculously started to work. He laughed and told me to screw the bulbs in better. I muttered under my breath. The lights are still shining now, a week later...

We went to the souk on Saturday, which was Zetta's 10 month birthday. Our friend Farida was with us and we found some lovely produce and bought a lot of oregano. I didn't know a quarter would give us a whole grocery bag full! As we were walking back to the car I was telling Farida how much I love to buy fresh, local produce when we looked down and saw we had a flat tire. I was still on a high from buying our fruits and veggies, so I loosened the lugs, and jacked the car right up. Both Farida and Katie said they were impressed with my initiative. Katie said, "Wow, I've never seen you change a tire before." I think she thought I was sexy.

As I was getting the spare tire on, I smiled and said, "Too bad the watchmen and the landlord weren't here to see me. Then they wouldn't think I was such a useless moron."

And as I finished my sentence the most popular Moroccan in the village drove by in his black Mercedes: my good friend Saaid.

"Matchew, you need any help."

"No, no, Saaid. I got this one."

I can only hope he spreads the news at the local cafe.


salaam alikum

3 comments: