
Voices of Iraq
The way the film was made in ground breaking. 150 digital video cameras were distributed to Iraqis in order to gain all of the material used in the film. This new way of film making has inspired others like it. While one would hope this would bring out an objective piece of documentary film making about the situation in Iraq, this film can't make that claim. While I give the film credit for it's innovation, the content is lacking. I wish the editor's would have done a better job. Matthew's grade: C+

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price
Everyone has seen the protester outside Wal-Mart stores. But what the hell are they protesting for anyways? Whether you are for or against, anyone interested in why some people are so anti-Wally this is a good film for you. It looks at the corporation of Wal-Mart from many different angles, pulling on cases from America, Germany, and China. Wal-Mart made a film to combat the claims entitled: Why Wal-Mart Works. It should be noted that the film-maker of Why Wal-Mart Works stopped working for Wal-Mart after the movie came out because he felt the rights of workers were being violated. Anyways, Matthew's grade: B

The Bridge
This is a documentary piece on the Golden Gate Bridge. This bridge has the highest suicide tally for any man-made structure in the world. The film looks back at the lives of the people who jumped in 2004, interviewing their family and friends. The director staged cameras on the bridge at all times and caught footage of the people jumping to their deaths. I don't know whether call this film callous or sensitive. Matthew's grade: B-
salaam alikum

I have seen 'The Bridge' on the documentary channel ( Don't you just love doc?) I think it is refreshing to actually see a documentary BE a documentary. No director spin or motive on the way the film is presented, edited or reworked. That's how truth gets lost or manipulated. The Bridge is what it is. I found the realism of that honest. And sad. I felt it was good filmmaking.
ReplyDeleteman, you broke from Potter in a serious way..
ReplyDeleteI am not sure why, but I only watch documentaries if they are funny are lighthearted. Serious ones are too depressing most of the time.
ReplyDelete