
The Future of Food
For those of you interested in organic food, green living, and social justice, this is definitely a film for you. This documentary reminded me a lot of "The World According the Monsanto," except this is film flows better, contains better arguments, and isn't narrated by someone with a thick french accent. The film talks about the harmful effects of patenting seeds, creating seeds that are designed to self destruct, and how these new technologies are effecting farmers the world over. The plight of the Mexican corn farmer is particularly intriguing. I never thought corn could be so beautiful. Matthew's grade: B+

No End in Sight
This is by the far the best documentary I have seen about Gulf War 2.0 to date. Specifically it looks at the early failures of the Bush administration after the fall of Baghdad. It describes how early looting and chaos led to a void of security and how this led neighborhoods to form militias for protection. These same militias would be the biggest force in the growing violence and insurgency that plagues Iraq to this day. Matthew's grade: A-


Why We Fight
Based on war hero and president Dwight D. Eisenhower's farewell address, this film looks at what Dwight called the military industrial complex. It talks much of Gulf War 2.0, but also Vietnam, gulf war 1, Korea, and other scuffles. It does a great job of attacking the militarism of modern day America, while at the same time supporting the young men and women who fight in America's armies. The fact that it persuades you to believe that the greatest general in American history was against militarism in it's present form is quite a feat. Matthew's grade: B+
Earthlings
If you've never slaughtered an animal or watched one slaughtered in close proximity you should definitely see this film. Before watching it however I would recommend eating all the meat you have on hand because the film has been known to convert people to vegetarianism. It has actually been described as the most persuasive documentary in history. Earthlings has become the number one informational movie for the animal rights movement. Katie and I have both been vegetarians at points in our lives, and yet we were still shocked by some of the stuff we saw. Where I live now it is impossible to avoid seeing animals slaughtered, and I can't walk through the market without seeing their hanging carcasses. However, I think this is a very healthy thing. It keeps my eyes open to the connection between animals and humans, and certainly more thankful for the meat I do eat. Matthew's grade: B+

Earthlings was haunting, but in a good way. I think it's important for us to see these images, even though they are heartwrenching, because it's our responsibility to be "stewards" of the earth. To add- the film isn't just about food...its's also about animal testing, animals for "entertainment", pets, and clothing.
ReplyDeleteI just had my eyes opened last night after watching "Food, Inc." and since I was crying so hard R told me I was "convulsing," I don't think I would been able to handle "Earthings" - but I'm REALLY interested in "The Future of Food" - Monsanto makes me paranoid.
ReplyDeleteI forgot what it was even on, I want to say the BBC or something. But they took these kids and have them live on a farm for a week or so and one day they slaughtered a cow in front of them and they were all freaking out and crying and stuff. Yet when they served it to eat that night none of the kids turned it down. Whenever I saw it the way they edited it made it really funny.
ReplyDelete"The Future of Food" is on hulu. It is my first ever download from Hulu :)
ReplyDeleteFuture of Food was a much better laid out critique of the food industry than The Corporation was of corporations in general. Hell of a documentary. Looks like we're gonna take out a loan to eat organic:)
ReplyDelete