It is my belief that we should laugh with those who laugh and mourn with those who mourn. The latter is difficult to do. The fact is our planet is ravaged by starvation, disease, war, and genocide. Most of the documentaries I've been reviewing are films that can't help but make you mourn and lament the way our world is structured. But in seeing the world for what it is, we cannot forget to laugh with those who laugh. I have found the fullest laughter I have experienced to be in times of absurdity, adventure, and in seeing my dreams fulfilled. I believe no other man can bring these ideas to film like Werner Herzog. Therefore I present his documentaries of the past decade.
This was the first Herzog film I saw which was made last year. I think it could have easily won best documentary; it is just as good as Man on Wire. Herzog visits Antarctica to make a film that is NOT about what he calls "fluffy penguins." Instead he focuses on the people who live there and what their hopes and dreams are. He makes the land of ice and snow come alive. Matthew's grade: A
Grizzly Man
In Grizzly Man Herzog looks back at the life of Timothy Treadwell, a grizzly bear enthusiast who lived among the grizzlies of Alaska for thirteen summers. Herzog treats Treadwell's life and story with honesty, beauty, and utmost respect. During the film Katie and I both had the same thought: "Treadwell is like a post-modern Saint Francis." If you are into documentaries this is a must see. Matthew's grade: A
In 2002 Herzog traveled to Tibet and Austria in order to document the two Kalachakra initiations presided over by the Dalai Lama. Herzog captures the intense devotion of Buddhist monks and dwells on the beauty of their ancient rituals. For those interested in the diversity of world religion, check this out. Be patient as much of the film is the monks doing their thing with music in the background. Matthew's grade: B


It is my feeling that Pixar's "Up" had to be somehow inspired by this film. It is the journey of Dr. Dorrington's white diamond shaped aircraft, as it explores the unknown canopies of the Guyanese rain forest. The film looks through the perspective of the aircraft taking flight at the beautiful landscape of the Kaieteur Falls along with the people who inhabit nearby. Katie and I think our favorite part was the close-up look at a local named Marc Anthony along with his beloved rooster named Red. Matthew's grade: B+
salaam alikum

Now you gotta watch Little Dieter Needs to Fly and the fictional film based off of that, Rescue Dawn.
ReplyDeleteGrizzly Man is for sure an interesting watch, but that guy was an idiot. The "end" was basically a forgone conclusion based on his actions.
I thought Grizzly Man was a good film. As far as Treadwell, he had a good heart, but he ended up becoming what he set out to protect the bears against-- and I was glad Herzog pointed that out in and throughout the film.
ReplyDelete