This film starts and ends in a candlelit shadowy catholic church. It is about a hit man who is trying to quit the business after he accidentally blinds a beautiful lounge singer. He ends up falling in love with her, doing whatever it takes to keep her safe and give her sight back. Critics have called this one of the best action films ever made. Matthew's grade: B+
Red Cliff (2008)
This is Woo's latest film. It is his first film made in Hong Kong Cinema since Hard Boiled in '92. While this film steers clear of the smoke filled rooms and shadowy characters of his earlier Hong Kong films, this one can't be described as anything else but Epic. The run time is somewhere around four hours, unless you cheat and watch the version released for western audiences which is somewhere around two. The acting is great, the cinematography beautiful, and the action bloodier than normal epic movies. Matthew's grade: B
Hard Boiled (1992)
This is my favorite of Woo's films. Well it's actually a toss up with The Killer. The cover of this film is revealing of a common chorus to all of three of these films. In each movie there is a scene where one of the main heroes is holding a baby or small child as he fights through a large number of villains. The end of this film is an unbelievable 30-45 minute shootout in a hospital. Without a doubt some of the best action cinema I have ever seen. Matthew's grade: A-salaam alikum

Now we're talking. I could go into how much I love Chow Yun Fat and John Woo, but I won't.
ReplyDeleteThe church scene in the Killer is so badass. Sometimes I think I like it more than the hospital scene in Hard Boiled, but they both rock so it doesnt really matter. I have a Killer poster, so I fall asleep with CYF pointing a sniper rifle at my head. For some reason Netflix does not have Red Cliff and it is starting to piss me off.
Now to what else you need to see
JW and CYF: A Better Tomorrow (1 is best, but watch all 3), Once a Thief (action comedy that is really funny)
JW: Bullet in the Head, Face Off (his best hollywood movie), Windtalkers (solid war movie)
CYF: Curse of the Golden Flower (you really need to see this ASAP, the only movie I have ever described as beautiful), Replacement Killers (his best hollywood movie, its kick ass), City War, City on Fire, full Contact (those last 3 are lesser known but all great action movies)
Bill- thanks for the recommendations. I've seen Curse of the Golden Flower which I loved, and I agree it was beautiful, kind of like the beauty in Jet Li's Hero. Face Off is also one I've seen, but I much prefer JW's Hong Kong stuff. I would check out Windtalkers but I hate Nick Cage. I certainly plan to check out A Better Tomorow ASAP.
ReplyDelete