
Today we went to Fes to visit our friends. The oldest son, Simo, is getting married next monday so everyone is in a frenzy to get dresses and all the arrangements in order. We all went out and picked out a traditional Kaftan for Katie to wear to the wedding. It is one of the most beautiful dresses I have seen Katie in. I can't wait to share pictures. Moroccan weddings usually last until like 4 or 5 am. We'll see how long we can last.
While in Fes we had to go to a swimming pool to talk to Mediha about the wedding's details. Ghita and her friend came with us. Katie was relieved when we got to the pool because she was afraid Ghita's friend was going to get sick in the car. Fast forward to the ride home: Ghita's friend barfed in the car. Luckily we had a diaper rag that caught most of it. Said rag got ditched next to a mechanic shop and we all had a good laugh. Poor girl.
To make the day even stranger, on the trek back to the village from the city the car started acting funny while climbing the treacherous mountains. All the check lights came on so I pulled over at pull off where a man was selling rocks. I checked the fluid levels and saw we were low on engine coolant. We were in the middle of nowhere. We had a little bit of water, and I remembered my dad using water to cool a car down in a pinch so I tried it out. I started the car and we drove about a kilometer and it was starting to overheat again. Blast! I pulled over and started a search for water. Water in the middle of nowhere, in the summer, in africa, is not the most available thing. My second pull off spot happened to be close to an irrigation line. However the irrigation line was completely dried up. However I soon saw there was a small rolling stream a little further down the mountain from the irrigation line. After three trips down to the stream and back to the car with two small water bottles, the car cooled down and we were back on the road. While this whole fiasco was going on the sun was setting and we had a perfect few from the mountain we were on. This kept a smile on my face, and most important, a grateful heart for adventure.
Tomorrow's adventure will be how to figure out how to drain the water from my coolant tank and replace it with coolant so that the water doesn't rust out the radiator :(
Bonus Question: The answer to last week's question was d.) 7. This week's question is how many teeth can we currently see breaking through in Zetta's mouth? a)2 b)3 c)4 d)5
salaam alikum

I'm guessing 4 - Sam always cut 4 at a time. And while Ray has been much slower in cutting teeth he has 4 cutting right now!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to here more about the wedding! Owen is super cute - Congrats on Aunt and Uncle-hood again.
i guess 2!!
ReplyDeleteCheck online for Coolant mixture ratios, most people mix coolant and water, it's a little cheaper, and then you can keep some spare coolant in case you have another issue with the radiator. Did you find any leaks?
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, I love you guys and that adventure sounded great:)
I got it all worked out now...No leaks hemdollah. Moroccan coolant was less than a dollar for a liter. Foreign coolant was about $9 dollars for a liter. I went for the local stuff and the dude told me to go 50-50 with water. All is well.
ReplyDeleteWay to buy local - it's better for the environment after all :)
ReplyDelete