Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Servant of Mercy

Katie mentioned a while ago that our house was invaded by a Barbary falcon. The watchman came and grabbed the falcon with an oven mitt and set said bird free outside and we were saved. The only problem: we didn't know the watchman's name. We were past the threshold of asking him what his name was since we see him everyday and he has helped us with a number of crises. We decided to nickname him falcon, due to his watchful eye on the apartment grounds.
Falcon (the watchman) is always finding Katie and I in odd predicaments. For example when the hot water tank burst and water was all of the floor, Falcon swooped in. When I couldn't get the bedroom door open, Falcon came and laughed at me. When an obscure bird found it's way into our fireplace, Falcon. When Katie and I were scrambling to get clothes of the line in a thunderstorm. When Katie and I were struggling to wash a gigantic rug. It has seemingly become a game of Falcon and prey. All in good fun though. One exploit we have been able to carry out under Falcon's nose is commandeer his garden hose and wash our car. MWAHAHA
We finally learned Falcon's real name last week when he took us to a private pool. His name:
Abdu-raheem. Translation: Servant of Mercy. Its seems fitting since he is always putting up with the weird Americans and their bizarre behavior; always with a smile on his face.
salaam alikum
Factoid: I recently learned that the local melons we get here are Santa Claus melons and Galia melons. I had hypothesized about the Santa Clause melons earlier in the year but when I said this in public all the Americans looked at me like I live in a fantasy world. Which I do but sometimes it crosses with the world that most people call reality. All this to say:
SANTA CLAUS MELONS EXIST!
Bonus question: How many people kissed Zetta within a half hour trip to the bakery and market today? a) 2 b) 4 c)5 d) 7

4 comments:

  1. My next task is to go digging for soil in the coartyard...most likely Abdu will come around the corner wagging his finger at me. This may have to be accomplished at night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when the meaning of names line up with the persons personality.

    My guess is 7 - I'm going for the highest possible number because that's how many times I would want to hug and kiss her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my guess is also 7 cause she's just so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SHu and Sarah take the cake. SEVEN KISSES! I haven't been kissed that many times in my whole life.

    ReplyDelete