Monday, May 25, 2009

Snikt!


I finally got the opportunity to watch X-MEN ORIGINS: Wolverine. Ugh. What a huge disappointment. Wolverine, according to Wizard magazine, is the best superhero ever! And this is the movie that Hollywood comes up with! Come on, seriously. There was not even an ounce of sweetness in the movie.

Deadpool as villain and Weapon XI was like a bad dream. Cyclops and Emma Frost were uninspired. Gambit was lame. And I now believe Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth was a miscast.

Sabretooth needs to be head and shoulders taller than Wolverine. Wolvie stands at only somewhere around 5 foot 3 inches, maybe shorter if his boots are off. Another thing, Sabretooth did not once refer to Wolverine as "runt." This is what he always calls him people!

Is Hugh Jackman chiseled out of wood? Yes. Is he the sexiest man alive? Debatable, but yes. Is he Wolverine? Hell no. The Wolverine I imagine on the big screen needs to be wearing a cowboy hat in most scenes, drinking beer all the time, and saying 'bub' whenever given the chance.

The biggest insult of all, was Sabretooth and Wolvie fighting in the American Civil War. First of all, Wolverine was born after the Civil War (LATE 19th century). Most important HE IS CANADIAN!!! CANADIAN! WTF! How do you screw that up! It is like having a Captain America movie where he fights in the French Revolution. Speaking of Cap, why couldn't they have shown a quick clip of Wolverine fighting in WWII with Captain America? This would have been 1. Badass, and 2. a great lead in for the Captain America movie.

Overall this movie made me very upset. The story was very uninspired and I rank it as one of the worst superhero movies I have ever seen.

Matthew's grade: D

3 comments:

  1. Matthew, I agree with most of your above points but cannot agree with you that it is one of the worst unless you've never seen Elektra, Daredevil, the first Incredible Hulk of five years ago, or either of the Fantastic Four movies. All of these were far and above worse than the Wolverine movie. I would, however, like to live up to my Fifth Mountain namesake and say that I have NEVER sympathized with Wolverine as a character but for some bizarre other-worldly reason I did during the movie. I cannot believe that they have talked about bringing about a Deadpool movie from the likes of this Wolverine Movie. I think Wolverine's character and history have so much (or even too much) to work with that they could easily make a compelling film without pulling in lies about Scott and Emma being brought into Weapon X and Emma's older sister being Silver Fox?! Silliness, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jesse, those FF movies were a Nickelodeon kick in the nuts to the Team. Even I can admit that the Four's time came and went over 40 years ago, but those movies were like gargling garbage with your eyes. Final point: Reed Richard's "Dodge" Flying Machine. "Dodge". I think they said the word "Hemi" in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha...Nickelodeon kick in the nuts. That is a beautiful expression! I agree that elektra and daredevil are worse. the FF movies are terrible to...but I rank wolvie at the 5th worse. I was that disappointed
    :(...CANADIAN!

    ReplyDelete