*WARNING: this may be my most controversial blog yet*
I was shaving this morning, contemplating my top 5 favorite superheroes of all time (a future blog), when suddenly I had a paradigm shift in regards to the wizardring world. I have long been a proponent of safeguarding the Harry Potter series, limiting the series only to the books that are published by J.K. Rowling along with the movies (which I think are questionable). Well I am a big flip-flopper because I now believe the series should be open to outside interpretation, leaving room for exhausting all the minor characters, and exploitation of the series to the highest degree.
I held my previous position mainly due to what happened to the Star Wars franchise. George Lucas opened up the Star Wars Expanded Universe, which brought about books, comic books, spin-off movies, video games, etc. It has been argued that Lucas sacrificed his magnum opus for a buck. Others have called him a whore. I have been part of the latter camp.
Well why I was in front of the mirror this morning, I realized that my old age has made me indifferent about George's decisions. So much so that I would greatly welcome Rowling to expand the wizardring universe. My reasons are many but here are my top five:
5. I'm bored (it's summer and I don't have a Harry Potter book to read)
4. The 7 (along with any other future JKR works) will remain canon, while the expanded universe will be apocrypha
3. I like the idea of creating a world and letting others cultivate it
2. This is selfish, but it could revive the comic book industry (a spin-off Harry Potter is perfect for the comic book medium, just like Star Wars has been so successful in the comic book world)
1. While most of us grown adults will gripe about continuity issues and quality, I think kids would love it. Isn't that what children's literature is for? KEEP THE KIDS READING!
Bring your accusations of treason to the comments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hip hip hooray!
ReplyDeleteMatthew,
ReplyDeleteWhile I wholly appreciate your argument and desire for a continuation of the Harry Potter saga in any form, is it not true that all great literature - be it intended for child, adolescent, or adult - must have an introduction and a conclusion that is set forth at the author's discretion within the boundaries of the books deemed canon? If not, why is there a canon? Why end the epic tale of Harry Potter in seven books? Rowling saw an appropriate end to her story. To continue it in apocryphal form would cheapen the greater whole. Besides, Ms. Rowling is doing plenty to cheapen the greater whole on her own (posting on message boards revealing which minor characters wind up married and other details she didn't deem worthy of a place in the monumentally-sized books that she completed). Please keep the comic book idea on the DL because she would totally go for it and the Harry Potter that we love and adore would be nothing more than a cheap cartoon depiction of fan faves to rake in money and appease the masses (e.g. Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 and Angel Season 6). Let it be, man. Let it be.
P.S. I am all for encouraging kids into another great wealth of literature (e.g. the great works of Roald Dahl). I am also all for another great writer stepping up and creating a fictional world so magnificent that children will wait in lines at midnight to buy her/his books. It can be done again.
ReplyDeleteI never really care if stuff is expanded upon, some people get super annoyed by it, but I don't see what the big deal is. As you said, the canon stuff is still canon and nothing that comes out later changes that. The non canon stuff is there if you are interested, if you aren't, you can just ignore it. Plus without the expanded Star Wars Universe we would not get this bad ass title "Death Troopers" (it won't let me post anything here, just google it).
ReplyDeleteWhen it comes to Harry Potter I don't care at all since they don't interest me.
Matthew, you made my day. I think I laughed for at least five minutes reading your "warning". I was all geared up- ready for it, and there it was, expanding the wizardry universe.
ReplyDeleteAnna...your thoughts are noted. Be careful with your "cheap cartoon depiction" talk or me and Jesse might have to get Comic Book Guy to stab you with his light saber.
ReplyDeleteThanks for bringing up Rowlings exploits in blogs and interviews. I actually prefer these over putting them in book 7. The epilogue of book seven, for me, was the worst thing Rowling has ever written. I found the tone completely different from the rest of the book, and even the series for that matter. We just swallowed the pill that Voldemort was defeated, therefore the epilogue was too rushed, and at times even cheap. I think putting the epilogue in was indulgent, and I would rather have Rowling be indulgent in interviews and blogs.
This is too funny and I can't form intelligent words/sentences right now to defend why I think HP should be done (as much as I would love to read more).
ReplyDeleteI do agree that it is time for a new author to step up to the plate so, MATTHEW START WRITING!
Canon is just a word to sort our the worthwhile from the BS. Lucas is a whore, and however indulgent the epilogue is perceived, it served a clear purpose: to eliminate the possibility for HP BS. It didn't fit, but without it, would-be mosquito writers would be chomping at the bit to ruin the cred of the series even more than now. I agree, let's encourage the chillun to read. They can spend the first 2-3 years trudging through HP 1-7. At that point their tastes will be refined enough that they can form their own literary analysis book clubs and explore the vast wealth of children's lit. Where the Red Fern Grows? Superfudge? Boxcar Children? Best of the NFL Team breakdowns? Ripley's Believe it or not? Plenty to keep them occupied.
ReplyDeleteI agree there is a plethora of children's material out there...But Harry Potter is so HOT right now. I tried to manipulate my readers with the kids reading part. MAINLY I JUST WANT MORE COMICS TO READ.
ReplyDelete