Our friend Danny Lambson joined us. It is odd to me that I haven't mentioned him before. He is quite an interesting individual. An American, who lives in the village, and proud owner of the Sunrise and the Sunset. The Sunset is a quaint hotel here in the village that has a great reputation as a home away from home. The Sunrise is the cafe/restaurant that is attached to the hotel and open to the public. We have gotten to know Danny because of the delicious smoothies he serves: the best in town.
Danny displays his own artwork, along with other's artwork within the Sunrise. He has all kinds of interesting things going on in the cafe. Poetry readings, book clubs, bands playing, etc. It was quite a treat to have Danny join us for craft time.
I was feeling uninspired so I generally just watched Katie and Danny paint. Katie painted a lovely picture that I named BIRD ON WIRE. But she is starting over and painting a new one because she is a perfectionist when it comes to art. Danny is a different story. He painted 5 paintings in the short time we had, about 2 hours. I enjoy his paintings very much, which brings me to my new side job.
Mr. Lambson tells me that 75% of a painting's appeal has to do with the story behind it. To make a long story short, Danny has hired me to write the stories behind his paintings, in order to market them properly. I am new to this so I figured I would practice on all of you, using the 5 paintings Danny did yesterday.
Let there be BEING by Danny LambsonThe picture doesn't do the painting any justice. But this is Danny's interpretation of the beginning of existence. It is an ode to Heidegger, the thinker who developed the notion of BEING, the fact that we exist rather than not exist. This is the first painting of a series that explore Heidegger's themes in graphic detail.

Let there be light: primary darkness by Danny Lambson
This is a case study Danny did for a larger project he is working on. The real work will include the same concept only it will be much larger in scope. Each piece will stand 6 feet tall and 3.5 feet wide in order to really draw the viewer in. The themes within this work are exploring once again the nature of basic existence. However this time it is focusing on the existence of light and how it produces color. This 3 painting series will explore the thought of what color must have looked like when it first appeared amongst all of the darkness of the void.

Allah on Red by Danny Lambson
The first painting of a series entitled Allah among Us which plans to include over 125 paintings of different colors with "Allah" over top. This specific work, explores Allah's presence within times of violence, such as war, revolutions, and assassinations. At first this was going to be a stand alone piece called "Allah in Detroit," with an alternative title of "Allah in Memphis," but it was changed to "Allah on Red" once the series was announced.
Hope you enjoy Danny's work. Hopefully there will be more to come.
salaam alikum

So, do we get to see Katies painting? At first I thought you were just referring to your alter ego, Danny. Ah, craft time is a good time!
ReplyDeleteView Katie's painting here: http://katielehnert.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteInteresting viewing/reading - sounds like a great job!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't help mentioning you at school today - as I passed the music room I stopped to listen as they were beatifully singing "salaam alikum". I wished I had a portable recorder handy so I could have sent it to you. :(
I hope I get to meet Danny whist in Morocco on June 17th. June 17th is the date in which I will be in Morocco.
ReplyDeleteNeigh, ignore that last date, dangit. I knew it sounded wrong but the other teacher seemed very sure. I'm working on getting it, sorry this is so late in the game.
ReplyDelete