Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My New Hero


I finished Tunnels over the weekend. So Will Burrows is NOT the next Harry Potter. But let's face it, there will never be another Harry Potter. It is like saying a rock band is the next Beatles. However, I did enjoy Tunnels. Overall the subteranean world of Tunnels makes you feel unwelcome, whereas you feel at home and a part of Hogwarts. The pages inside are, in my opinion, way more violent than Potter. Tunnels as a whole moves pretty quick, with the end leaving you wanting more. Is it going to find it's place with Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia? No, probably not. Will I continue reading the series? Yes. It was a decent read and took me away to another place. Isn't that what fantasy is for?

Matthew's grade: B


Katie and I watched Man on Wire on her birthday. It was incredible. I loved every minute of it. It is definately in the top five of best documentaries I have ever seen. It was funny, dramatic, and left me hoping and dreaming bigger. It is about a rag tag team of misfits who organize a "coup" to set up a tight rope wire between the two world trade center towers. Philippe Petit then walks out on the wire and performs for about 45 minutes before he is apprehended by the police. For the rest of the week, Bucky takes a back seat, because Philippe Petit is my new hero!

Matthew's grade: A

4 comments:

  1. Still waiting on the book from the library...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Librarian at one of our Elementaries is OBSESSED with Philippe. She does an entire unit on him every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear that HP reigns! so great! and happy birthday to katie (a little late) hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed "Man on Wire." It was almost like a "heist" movie or something, the way everything had to be all planned out and sneaky. I'm afraid of heights, and there were even a couple shots that made my knees weak.

    I hope my library has Tunnels!

    ReplyDelete