Saturday, April 4, 2009

Superheroes from a Suitcase

This is my 24th post and I have yet to talk about superheroes! This is really a total mind blower. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about superheroes or pretend that I am in fact a superhero. My good buddy Pete asked me what I thought about Watchmen. After giving him some brief thoughts about the film I figured I should write a blog about it.

Watchmen, in my opinion, is the best comic book series ever written. It is the series that put comic books on the literature map. Before Watchmen, comic books were seen as inferior, sometimes even as villains of the high flouting fictional novel. Nowadays Watchmen is taught in Universities all over the world. It is used to discuss the cold war, philosophy, Alexander the great, mythology, among other fields. Watchmen is the first series to ever put into question the whole costumed vigilante phenomenon.

This being said I will share what I told Pete: "I watched Watchmen last night. I actually really enjoyed it. However I have read the book which I think makes a big difference. For the average movie goer, I think most would be disappointed. You go expecting a typical superhero movie with clear heroes and clear villains, but the world of Watchmen is something completely different. Obviously I could ramble on about Watchmen for days but I won't bore you to tears. That being said I will share that every paper I wrote for Comp2 included something about Watchmen. I give the movie a solid B maybe a B+, but wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I should probably blog about it. nuff' said."

Katie says: "My heart goes out to Dr. Manhattan. He's such a lonely character. I also enjoyed how the film really felt like it was the 80's."

Matthew says: "I've said way to much already."

Katie's grade: B

Matthew's grade: B+

Warning: Unless there is a big protest in the commenting, there might be a blog coming about my favorite superhero.

P.S- There will be a prize for anyone who guesses my favorite superhero in the commentary of this blog.

10 comments:

  1. For christmas, D's brother got him the Marvel Encyclopedia-- not only did he already know the height/weight, location, powers, strengths, etc. of maybe 300 superheroes, he now discusses at ad nauseum every single character in the entire marvel universe. You two would love eachother.

    I'll guess your fav.... Silver Surfer?

    Question for you, of all powers, what one super power would you want to possess?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna: Great guess, I do love me some furball. But no. Beast has been picked as the X-man most like me.

    Blair: I love the Silver Surfer but not my favorite. I would choose the power of producing duplicates, like Multiple Man. Then I would do like Multiple Man has done and send my dupes all over the world learning languages, martial arts, and all kinds of skills. I then reabsorb my dupes and become all powerful. BHAWHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should note that this hero is my favorite right now. My favorites are always changing. Katie successfully guessed it. However it was not in the comments so she has been ruled void from the competition and the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Umbrella Man? (A character Matthew created in his head - his artwork of it is on my living room wall :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah: No, but thanks for promoting my superhero by putting him on your wall. The Umbrella Man is also relevant to this blog because he carries a suitcase with him at all times that stores a black hole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After such intimate conversations in U-Haul trucks about the deep things of super heroes, I should know this. But I don't with any degree of certainty. Since this is on a right now basis, and I know the human arachnid series has let you down, and that I'm not sure if your are as obsessed with Cable as I am, and that Wolverine is a whore which I know you don't appreciate, and that even though Cyclops is on your "rising stars' chart, he's still too much of a "enggh" (shakes body in a bitching tone)...I'm going to hope, that your obsession with a certain new role for Bucky still has your heart's top spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS- Best fodder for blogging ever. Such a wonderful commentary on comic books that people's innate desire to have special powers gets us all riled up for commenting. I wonder if we want these powers just to show off at parties, or if we get inspired when we see heroes set things right. Anyhoo, I'd love a blog sometime in the future about your favorite hero.

    PS- this is making me want to make a trip to my local Comic store...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike: First of all, are you still reading Cable? If not pick it back up man, there is a crossover going on with X-Force called Messiah War. It is basically the sequel to Messiah Complex. Pretty BA at the moment.

    Second, X gets the square. Bucky is my favorite hero at the moment. For all of you who are saying Who the crap is Bucky, well you will just have to keep reading the blog.

    Third, your prize will be disclosed at the end of my blog about Bucky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the comment to Mike and he says, "Yes!" with an fist/arm pump.

    ReplyDelete