
I don't know how big a deal it is in the States, but recently Switzerland voted to ban building new minarets in their country. Frobes has a good article about it. I have a picture of a minaret above so you all know what I am talking about. It is the equivalent of a church bell tower. Except from the minaret you don't hear bells, but rather the "azan" or call to prayer.
So if you hadn't guessed already, I think this is a stupid idea, along with most of the Arab world, the UN, and many other level headed individuals. It is xenophobic, and another case study of how Islamophobia is still so prevalent in the world.
But to get of my soap box, I want to talk about something that struck me deeper, and that I care about more than all these superficial arguments. In the village I live in there is a bombed out church that is partly destroyed, with no remnant of any symbols of christianity. It is the leftovers of the french occupation. Everytime I drive by it, which is everyday, I think how silly it is. Why is the huge building there? What motivates people to build something like that in a country it doesn't belong?
I have this feeling that when religion attaches itself to the State and to people wanting to advance their religion through power symbols, it becomes there desire to put their marks on city skylines. Within any city here minarets dominate the city skyline. The same is true of cathedrals in europe. It is no surprise that when Islamic armies conquered Jerusalem, they built Al-Aqsa mosque on top of the site of the old Jewish temple. It was a sign that Islam was now in charge.
The same thing was done in Cordoba, Spain. When Christian armies came south and reclaimed what was then called Al- Andalusia, the took the great mosque of Cordoba and turned it into a cathedral. This was also done in Damascus, except converting a church into a mosque.
True religion is not concerned with imposing itself upon the city skyline. It is not concerned with being an architecural symbol in the center of the city. True religion is about using funds to take care of widows and orhpans in their distress instead of buying gawdy building materials. For the Jesus of the gospels, the only skyline he found important was on a cross on Golgotha. And for me this is the only symbol on a skyline that has had tue power.
salaam alikum
salaam alikum

Traditions, rites, and symbols are forms of idolatry and practices that tend to steer us away from the personal relationship with God. We the body are his church, not a building, and must focus on him and our relationship with him and strive to live out his teachings through his word only.
ReplyDeleteYou mean you don't want to build a golden calf?
ReplyDeleteSeriously though, what Blaire said...
I agree that the body is the church, whole heartedly. But I wouldn't be so quick to call all traditions, rites, and symbols idolotrous. When the New Testament talks about not following the traditions of man I agree with that fully. But I think it leaves room for traditions of God. My catholic trappist monk friends have opened my eyes how tradition, rites, and symbols can bring one in intimate one-ness with God, in ways I have never seen before. Also it is never our job to judge people's personal experience with God. "Do not judge..." Sorry blog within a blog.
ReplyDeleteGood Blog and Meta-Blog. The Cathedral imposed on "La Mezquita" in Córdoba is like someone putting a big spoiler, vinyl stripes and Walmart flame seat covers on a 67 Camaro... just saying.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, the symbols I do like to see are the ones that reflect God's own creativity, and not so much the types that waste gratuitous amounts of money to show off one's wealth.
Symbols of true artistic value that were created and inspired by God's own heart, those I can really get a lot out of. That, and the Paintings/tattoos that feature a very Barry Gibb-esque portrayal of the risen Lord:)
I wouldn't call all traditions, rites and symbols idolotrous but I also don't think they should be forced upon "the church". I do agree that we all connect with God differently and for some these very traditions, rites and symbols that some want to run as far away from as possible may be the very things that connect them to Jesus. We are all created uniquely individual and I believe that our worship styles and the way we connect with Jesus are the same.
ReplyDelete