Monday, November 30, 2009

Turkey and Sheep

We celebrated thanksgiving on tuesday with the christian community here. Everyone went all out and we had all the proper fixings. Katie and I decided to make thanksgiving dinner thursday as well, and we had our german buddy over to celebrate. Simon brought over Charlie Brown's thanksgiving and I deep fried a turkey breast.

Friday we put up a christmas tree that Katie found in the church storage. I commented that christmas tree light is more romantic than candlelight. Putting up the tree, since Katie and I have been married, has always been a beautiful experience to me. It was especially beautiful this year, as Zetta bounced around in her Halloween princess crown, trying to steal the ornaments from us and dancing to the Charlie brown christmas soundtrack. Other tunes that played during the christmas tree ceremony were A Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme, the two best jazz albums ever recorded. I am so excited for Christmas. I used to hate it, but ever since I got married it has become magical to me.


Saturday we went to Fes to celebrate Eid al-Adha. This is where every muslim nuclear family buys and sheep and slaughters it in rememberance of God's provision for Abraham. Day one of the feast is usually filled with eating the grossest parts of the sheep, such as the head, stomach and intestines, liver, kidneys, and heart. Luckily we only had to eat the liver and heart becuase we only stayed for lunch. I actually enjoyed it this year. I found it quite tasty. Maybe it is growing on me. Also Katie ate it too which made me very impressed. I don't like picky eaters.




salaam alikum

2 comments:

  1. Love that you found a tree to put up. I think Mike would agree with you 100% about the romance of tree light vs. candle light. I'm glad Zetta enjoys "piano music" as the boys call it. We've been rockin' out the the Peanuts soundtrack ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was coming back just to post that I agree about the christmas tree lights, especially painted colored c7's:) I need to convince your sister to camp out by our tree and play Mario Party and eat cookies all night.

    ReplyDelete