Saturday, September 19, 2009

Flash Floods and Fitooring

Madiha stayed the weekend with us because she came for Zetta's birthday party. On Sunday we tried to drive her back to Fes because her brother just got married and is moving to Mauritania. Madiha said he was leaving Monday so she had to get back Sunday to say goodbye. We embarked from the village in the afternoon and it started raining. It had been raining for about a week straight so it was nothing new. When we got to the next village over the weather got increasingly worse. All of a sudden the traffic came to a stand still. When we finally got to the front of the line of cars we realized there was a river where the road should be!
We were advised by a nice man not to go through, duh! About ten years ago some friends of ours was in a flash flood and their car was washed away. Anyways, I turned around right on the edge of this river in the middle of the village. My left leg, which was operating the clutch, was shaking violently. Nonetheless, we got out of harms way and made it back home safely. Madiha was able to get a taxi the next day, and her brother ended up leaving a day later. All is well that ends well.
Monday night we had fitoor (the breaking of the fast) with Abdu and his family. It was the first time I had been to his new house. His daughter, Marwa, is a real card. She loves teasing Zetta.
Thursday we had fitoor with a bunch of internationals out at Tarmilat (the shepherding co-op). The women made a lot of rug and purse sales, so it was a real good time. Zetta was really cranky before we left but once we got there she lit up around all the people and had a great time. She ate a whole bowl of haraira (traditional soup), some chicken, and lots of cous cous.
Also this week I discovered gaming on the iTouch. My current favorites are Scrabble, which is great because Katie never wants to play the boardgame, and Alive4Ever, which is a zombie hunting game filled with fast zombies, fat zombies, exploding zombies, and zombie dogs. Last night I defeated the mutated centipede and now I have almost beat the game.
salaam alikum

3 comments:

  1. Well, since I talked to you on Facebook about almost all of that already I will just say that the gaming reminded me of Dwight playing half life in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have one, but Cube is suppose to be a pretty fun free ipod game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. close brushes with injury in cars are no fun. no fun indeed. I'm glad you're keeping your Scrabble skills honed. Keep us updated on any Bingoes. PS- I haven't been commenting as much because comments are blocked from the place where I check your blog on my lunch break.

    ReplyDelete