Saturday, September 5, 2009

Back to School

School has started up again which takes up much of my time. Comparing this semester to last semester really shows how the weather effects my motivation level. Last semester there was about two feet of snow on the ground and a general sense of doom following me to all my courses. Now it is in the 80's with blue skies everyday. I basically skip and giggle to class. Here is what my diet for the semester will consist of:

Intermediate Arabic
I am finally back in the Arabic classroom. This is by far my favorite course. It looks as though the university has developed an Arabic minor just for me. It has not been fully approved yet, but should be by the end of the semester. Everyone invloved is very excited about the new program, especially me. Whenever I study Arabic I am filled with joy.

Qualitative Research Methods
The title of the course made me think it would be miserable. Really though it's not that bad. Maybe, once the weather changes, I will have a different opinion.

Theories and Models of International Relations
I really like this class. First of all, I am boys with the professor which makes it very nice. About once a month I go to his office and we talk about the most obscure random stuff ever. He is a very interesting person. Also the textbook for this class is actually enjoyable to read.

Social Statistics
This class is the opposite of Qualitative Research Methods, as it looks at things Quantitatively. One word pretty much sums it up: UGH!

Women and Economic Development
This is my second favorite class after Arabic, as it is something I am thoroughly interested in and working on. It has a strong emphasis in the Middle East and N. Africa. It will probably be my most difficult class, but also the most rewarding.


salaam alikum

5 comments:

  1. Women and Econ Dev. sounds really interesting. Maybe you can have another minor in women's studies. While I will agree that going to class in the snow stinks it is also hard to be in class when it's nice outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to sit in on the "Women and Economic Development" class. Sounds very interesting - especially the emphasis on the Middle East and N Africa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long Live qualitative research! that is, if we want research to live at all..

    Social Stats sounds like a bad spot on that potato my friend. oh well, just hoops on your way to a goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the 22nd in Mali, the gov't just passed a law that women did not have to legally succumb to their husbands as islamic rule of law, which is causing quite an uprising. It is sad for the uneducated women who solely depend on their husbands and but a large step for the small amount of educated women that this liberates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You encourage me in going back soon for the next year of my program! Thanks Matt! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete