Thursday, March 12, 2009

Oh Lonesome Me*

Along with our motorcylce adventures and beach excursions I have been dabbling in pop culture. So I figured I would continue the review segment of this blog with the latest:

Film


Seven Pounds
Matthew says: "For those of you who don't know, I love Will Smith with my all my heart and soul. I agree with Jada when she says, 'Everyone needs a Will Smith in their life.' I have never seen a Will Smith movie I didn't like. Yes, this includes MIB 2 and Wild Wild West. Ok, Wild Wild West was really bad, I'll give you that one. Especially because Will turned down the role of Neo in the Matrix for that role. Anyways, Seven Pounds was one of his better movies."

Matthew's grade: B+

Music

Hold Time, by M. Ward
Matthew says: "M. Ward's best album yet. The cover of Oh Lonesome Me is one of the best covers I have ever heard, period. I hope him and Lucinda Williams work together more in the future."

Matthew's grade: A+
No Line on the Horizon, by U2
Matthew says: "Loaded with U2 radio hits and also weird experimental stuff for folks like me. I'm not the biggest U2 fan in the world, but I think this album puts them back on top as the best rock band on the planet today. Of course they had the magical city of Fez to inspire this album along with the best record producer of all time: Brian Eno."

Matthew's Grade: A-

*The title of this blog is twofold: a tribute to M. Ward and the fact that Katie was unavailable for comment.

7 comments:

  1. I love Will Smith too-- but he has what I call a "Robin Williams complex"-- I only like him in serious roles. (btw, have you seen RW in Final Cut?)

    Love reading your reviews! I haven't heard that much enthusiasm regarding the new U2-- I guess I'm going to have to trust you. Eno and Flood are tops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are a pop culture buff. Aside from 7 pounds (which I haven't seen) I had no idea any of the other stuff was in existence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am biased about the U2 album because it was recorded just about an hour from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really impressed with Seven Pounds (in a weird, depressing kind of way). I especially loved the acting of some of the supporting characters like Rosario Dawson & Woody Harelson.

    Last week I downloaded the single "No line on the horizon" and really enjoyed it - but that's the only song I've heard from the album so far...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, matrix with Will Smith could have turned out so differently, either better or worse, definitely more raw, he get's pissed/confused better, but he's also more cheesy at times in major roles.

    We'll have to rent 7 pounds, I don't know if I can handle U2, Rick Ruben gets my nod for having the Midas touch with so many otherwise lost/post-prime artists.

    I'm glad you got the package!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another WS fan here! I had no idea what 7# was about, just assumed "action". Was I surprised; but thought it was a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mateo mateo. MIB 2 tops the charts when it comes to the worst movies EVER made in the history of the movie universe. Its not THE worst, but its close. Wild Wild west on the other hand, while not the greatest of all movies, far outshines MIB 2. Now if we want to talk about MIB one, its hands down one of the best movies ever created. Its beyond argumentation. It is what it is.

    ReplyDelete