Monday, February 8, 2010

Run-in with the Law

I had a run-in with the law last weekend. We tried to go to Fes, and I got stopped at a police check point mid-way. Come to find out my car insurance was expired, I had passed a car in a no passing zone, and the title to the car was never put into my name. The police officer was very nice. He told me I was basically in deep shit.

I had three infractions against me, two of which were quite serious, and just cause for impounding the car. I told him I had just returned from America, and hadn't realized the paper work had expired in December. I begged him to let me return to Ifrane and park the car and not drive it until I got the necessary paper work in order. I also apologized for being a typical American. Luckily, he let me off with just paying a fine for the passing violation. Here you pay for your ticket on the spot, which is kind of strange.

Since our trip to Fes was cancelled, we went to the souk with our friend F, and had a nice taco salad lunch. I ended up running into Saaid in the souk, the guy who gets things done, and he was able to take the car and get insurance, a title, and the heating fixed.

Jada Pinkett Smith once said "everyone needs a Will Smith in their life." As it turns out, "everyone needs a Saaid in their life."

salaam alikum

3 comments:

  1. Good to know you aren't in jail - one more story for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Locked up abroad...I don't even want to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that not only was the title/ins handled, he went ahead and had your heater taken care of as well.

    You're a lucky sonofabitch!

    Feel free to edit this part out:)

    ReplyDelete